Child Support
Interiow showcase

Frequently Asked Questions

If you don't find what you need here, contact us by e-mail or call 484-1500.   

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Is the information about my support case confidential?
A: In most cases, yes. However, CSEA is required to provide information to either the Obligor, the Obligee, or the courts, upon request, regarding name, address, or employment information. If there is an active civil protection order due to domestic violence, please provide us with a copy of this paperwork to prevent disclosure to parties who are restrained by that order.

Q: How are child support payments allocated?
A: The current child support obligation is met first. Once the current obligation has been paid, the processing charge of 2% will be deducted. This means that periodically, a check you receive may be less than other payments because the processing charge has been deducted.

Q: If I receive Ohio Works First (OWF/TANF), will I get child support and the public assistance benefits?
A: No. If you receive OWF, your child support payments will go to the State as reimbursement for what OWF paid to you. If your support order is higher than your OWF award, you will get the difference.

Q: If I am on Unemployment Compensation, is there a limit on the amount that can be taken out for support?
A: Yes. The Office of Unemployment Compensation can only deduct up to 50% of an unemployment benefit to pay the support. If your unemployment compensation benefits are insufficient to meet your entire obligation, arrears (past due) support will accrue on the order.

Q: Can the CSEA collect support if the non-custodial parent is in the military?
A: Yes. The agency can take steps to do a withholding through the military system.

Q: The non-custodial parent quit their job to attend school full time. Do they still have to pay child support?
A: Yes. The non-custodial parent is obligated to pay their support until the order amount changes or until the order terminates.

Q: My child will be 18 soon. What should I do?
A: Both parties are required to notify the CSEA. However, if only one does, the CSEA will investigate to determine if termination of the child’s support order should be recommended. In Ohio, emancipation for a child happens when they are 18 AND graduated from high school, but no later than the child’s 19th birthday.

Q: Does child support continue once my child begins college?
A: No. Unless otherwise ordered by a court, support terminates once the child is 18 and graduated.

Q: What do I do when all the children are emancipated and there is still money owed?
A: Emancipation does not terminate arrears. The CSEA will continue to collect until the remaining balance is collected in full, unless otherwise ordered by a court.

Q: The non-custodial parent of my child does not live in Ohio. Can I establish paternity and get a child support order?
A: YES! The Champaign County CSEA can help you establish paternity and get a support order, regardless of where the non-custodial parent lives. UIFSA (Uniform Interstate Family Support Act) is a law regulating the establishment and enforcement of child support orders when the parents live in different states.