Child Support
Interiow showcase

Obligor Responsibilites

If you don't find what you need here, contact us by e-mail or call 484-1500.   

Obligor Responsibilities

(Party paying support)

It’s your support order…be an active participant!

•    Inform CSEA of any changes in your or the Obligee’s address, phone number, and/or employment status

•    Pay your child support through CSEA. Do NOT make payments directly to the Obligee as CSEA is unable to give credit for direct payments. By law, direct payments are considered a gift.

•    You are responsible for paying your support obligation in full each month. If payments are not being received from an income source you must submit payments on your own (See Payment Information  sheet).

•    Inform CSEA of any of the following reason why an order should terminate or be reviewed, including, but not limited to: emancipation of the child, death of any party (child, Obligor, or Obligee), permanent disability of the Obligor, either parent becomes incarcerated, a child on order is placed in the custody of Ohio Department of Youth Services (ODYS) or Department of Job and Family Services, (DJFS), and/or child becomes eligible as a dependent of Obligor for income through Social Security or Veterans’ Benefits.

•    Provide CSEA with supporting documents, if requested, to complete emancipation process such as: copy of high school diploma or withdrawal letter from school when the child reaches age 18, proof of enlistment in the armed forces, court orders showing change in legal custody or adoption of the child, and/or certificate showing the marriage of the child.

•    Enroll the child in health insurance plan if you are ordered to provide medical coverage for the child by the court/CSEA and notify CSEA that coverage is available and in effect.

•    Provide CSEA with all copies of court/administrative orders which may affect your Support Order, including, but not limited to, changes in custody or Support Order amount.

•    Keep any and all records pertaining to your Support Order. Additional copies of your court orders may cost money to obtain. CSEA is not the keeper of the Non Administrative records; these would need to be requested from the court who issued them.

•    When CSEA requests that you provide documents, you are required to submit them by the stated deadlines determined in the child support notice received.

•    Contact CSEA to report any problems or issues arising on your support case (example; arrears paid in full, spousal support obligation to end).

•    Register on the Web Portal to have access to your case record as needed.

•    Follow any administrative orders issued by CSEA in regards to completing activity which may enhance your employment prospects (seek work orders, complying with community programs).

Become educated about your support order. You are ultimately accountable for your order. Know your rights and responsibilities and exercise them.