Ohio Works First (OWF) is part of Ohio’s Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) and was established to provide time-limited cash assistance to eligible families.
Apply for Benefits
Check your benefits eligibility, report your changes, and apply online through Ohio Benefits.
The Ohio Works First program is available for families with children younger than 18 years of age and pregnant women in their 3rd trimester that meet federal income limits.
What Do I Have To Do?
- Sign a self sufficiency contract and plan
- Participate in a Work Activity
- Complete a certain number of hours per week in an approved work activity. Work activities could include:
- Work Experience Program (WEP)
- Completing Advanced Training
- Earn a post secondary degree
How Long Can I Get It?
You can receive assistance under the Ohio Works First program for up to 36 months in your lifetime. Exemptions to extend the duration of assistance are based on individual circumstances.
How Do I Apply?
You can file an application in person at our agency during regular business hours, by mailing in a completed application, or by faxing a completed application. You can also apply online at benefits.ohio.gov
We are required to determine eligibility within 30 days of your application.